Two Free Range Units, Shropshire
The Hockenhull family farm near Shrewsbury where brothers Tony and Peter work alongside their father John and other family members on their mixed beef and sheep farm. The family decided they needed another string to their bow so signed a contract with Powell & Co to build two free-range units.
The 258ft x 64ft steel-framed free-range units each house 16,000 Lowman birds. Eggs are contracted to Noble Foods who have a wide range of egg products designed for food businesses of all sizes and make 400 tonnes of egg products every week. A key feature was a large clear span end bay 8.8m by 49.6m for the office, shower room, egg store and packing room, the latter featuring extra windows for lots of natural light.
- Two 258ft x 64ft clear span steel frame units
- Passageway to link the two units
- Large clear span end bay for packing and storage
- Newquip 264 system with nesting, drinkers, feeders, heating and ventilation
- Goosewing grey in bird area and Juniper Green for roof and sides